An MMPI bulimia special scale : development and initial validation

Cardinal Scholar

Show simple item record

dc.contributor.advisor Barke, Charles R. en_US
dc.contributor.author Allison, Judy V. en_US
dc.date.accessioned 2011-06-03T19:22:30Z
dc.date.available 2011-06-03T19:22:30Z
dc.date.created 1989 en_US
dc.date.issued 1989
dc.identifier LD2489.Z68 1989 .A4 en_US
dc.identifier.uri http://cardinalscholar.bsu.edu/handle/handle/174783
dc.description.abstract The purpose of this study was to develop and conduct initial validation of a special MMPI scale for the detection of bulimia. Existing measures all contain content-obvious items that require the individual to self-disclose regarding their bulimia symptomatology. Such measures are not effective in identifying those reluctant or unwilling to self-disclose. A measure which utilizes nonobvious items would be useful in identifying those undetected by other measures. The MMPI item pool was utilized to develop such a nonobvious measure. A number of treatment centers were contacted to solicit MMPI response sheets and diagnostic and demographic information from existing client files. A random 80% subsample was drawn from the total sample with the remaining 20% reserved for cross-validation analyses.Item analysis and discriminant analysis were conducted to identify items which differentiated between criterion and comparison groups. The 31 items chosen by these analyses became the B-scale. The bulimic individuals were found to be differentiated from those in the comparison groups by significantly higher scores on the new B-scale Two-way cross-classification frequency analysis established a cutoff score of 21. Through evaluation of K-scale corrections it was determined that such correction did not add to the accuracy of the B-scale and is, therefore, unnecessary.The discriminant validity of the B-scale was then examined. Discriminant function analysis established the B-scale as a better predictor of group membership than the existing clinical scales. In addition, the existing clinical scales were not found to add significantly to prediction when compared with the B-scale alone. Cross-validation analyses were conducted on the independent 20% random sample, demonstrating that the B-scale effectively identifies bulimics when applied to a new sample. Implications of this scale construction and suggestions for future research are presented. en_US
dc.description.sponsorship Department of Counseling Psychology and Guidance Services
dc.format.extent iv, 88 leaves ; 28 cm. en_US
dc.source Virtual Press en_US
dc.subject.lcsh Bulimia -- Diagnosis. en_US
dc.subject.lcsh Minnesota Multiphasic Personality Inventory. en_US
dc.subject.lcsh Psychological tests. en_US
dc.title An MMPI bulimia special scale : development and initial validation en_US
dc.description.degree Thesis (Ph. D.) en_US
dc.identifier.cardcat-url http://liblink.bsu.edu/catkey/560285 en_US


Files in this item

Files Size Format View

There are no files associated with this item.

This item appears in the following Collection(s)

  • Doctoral Dissertations [3210]
    Doctoral dissertations submitted to the Graduate School by Ball State University doctoral candidates in partial fulfillment of degree requirements.

Show simple item record

Search Cardinal Scholar


Browse

My Account