A planning study for the William G. Scott House in Richmond, Indiana

Cardinal Scholar

Show simple item record

dc.contributor.advisor Spodek, Jonathan C. en_US
dc.contributor.author Mack, Emily C. en_US
dc.coverage.spatial n-us-in en_US
dc.date.accessioned 2011-06-03T19:40:00Z
dc.date.available 2011-06-03T19:40:00Z
dc.date.created 2003 en_US
dc.date.issued 2003
dc.identifier LD2489.Z785 2003 .M33 en_US
dc.identifier.uri http://cardinalscholar.bsu.edu/handle/handle/187587
dc.description.abstract The William G. Scott House in Richmond, Indiana was built c. 1885 for William G. Scott and his wife, Clara A. Robie McCoy. Mr. Scott, who was a successful executive at the prosperous steam engine manufacturing company Gaar, Scott & Co., was hailed as having one of the most prominent and beautiful homes within the city. The Scott family occupied the house until Mr. Scott's death in 1897, and the property was passed down to several Scott family descendants. In 1921, Richmond's local chapter of the Knights of Columbus purchased the Scott House and converted the building into their clubhouse. The Knights of Columbus continue to own and occupy the property today.The Knights of Columbus made several significant changes to house over the past eighty-two years, including installing a ceramic tile floor on the first floor, creating a Lodge Room on the third floor, remodeling the basement and the kitchen, and building a modern 5,000 sq. ft. meeting hall on the west side of the house. After the new meeting hall was constructed, the Knights of Columbus utilized the new addition most often, rather than the old clubhouse, and the historic Scott House was left vacant and allowed to slip into disrepair.Today, the Knights of Columbus use the Scott House to host "Tea Room Luncheons" featuring traditional Victorian menu items and local entertainment to revitalize public interest in historic architecture and generate funds for the future rehabilitation of the Scott House. The organization is also exploring future uses for the property and identifying additional fundraising opportunities, in hopes of rehabilitating the Scott House and restoring the property to its original elegance and grandeur.The Planning Study for the Scott House contains a history of the property, illustrations, elevation and floor plan drawings, building condition assessments, recommended treatment methods, and suggested maintenance practices. For further reference, the author's building assessment forms and annotated assessment drawings, and the Secretary of the Interior Standards for the Treatment of Historic Properties are included as appendices.This project was primarily an academic exercise and intended to help the author learn the process of evaluating the condition of a building, proposing treatment methods and maintenance practices, and writing a preservation planning study. In addition, the report is intended to serve as an outline and reference guide for Knights of Columbus to help direct the organization with the future rehabilitation, preservation, and maintenance of the William G. Scott House.
dc.description.sponsorship Department of Architecture
dc.format.extent vii, 261 leaves : ill., plans ; 28 cm. en_US
dc.source Virtual Press en_US
dc.subject.lcsh Historic buildings -- Conservation and restoration -- Indiana -- Richmond -- Case studies. en_US
dc.subject.other William G. Scott House (Richmond, Ind.) en_US
dc.title A planning study for the William G. Scott House in Richmond, Indiana en_US
dc.description.degree Thesis (M.S.H.P.)
dc.identifier.cardcat-url http://liblink.bsu.edu/catkey/1260627 en_US


Files in this item

Files Size Format View

There are no files associated with this item.

This item appears in the following Collection(s)

  • Master's Theses [5358]
    Master's theses submitted to the Graduate School by Ball State University master's degree candidates in partial fulfillment of degree requirements.

Show simple item record

Search Cardinal Scholar


Browse

My Account