First light on Anthony Wayne's headquarters of Greene Ville : the historic archaeology of the headquarters of the legion of the United States (1793 to 1796)
In 1793 The United States of America was committed to a war of subjugation over the Confederated Indian Tribes of the Northwest Territory. In this year the construction of a large military outpost was begun to house some twenty-five hundred regular army troops and serve as the headquarters of Major General Anthony Wayne. This fortified camp, which Wayne named what is now headquarters for three years and was the site of the signing downtown Greenville, Ohio. The camp served Wayne as his of the Treaty of Greene Ville 1795, which was the climax of this Indian war. This war and this treaty set the stage for future American and Indian wars, and set the climate for future government dealings with the Indian problem. For these reasons this site is worthy of both commemoration for civic pride, in our national heritage, and exploration for historic and archaeological information, neither of which have been approached with any great care or public enthusiasm. Undertaking the archaeological exploration of this site demands that one crucial question be asked. In this urban context, under which this site is supposed to lie, are there any remains of the fort structures left intact after one hundred and eighty years of building and disturbance? That such features are likely to have been buried and may be recovered and studied in an archaeological context, is the central hypothesis of this paper.