Richard E. Bishop Architectural Records, 1924-1969
This collection consists of drawings, specifications, reference material, a report, postcards, and scrapbook material from the office of Richard E. Bishop, Indianapolis architect. It covers the period 1924-1969.
The drawings are mostly designs for park and recreational facilities. Several sets are for inns and lodges at Indiana state parks. Several children’s camps are represented, too. Other drawing sets are for private residences, a fraternity house, and additions and alterations to Indianapolis Public School 56. Most of the work is by Bishop but a few projects are by other architectural firms: Lennox & Matthews, August C. Bohlen, and Allen &` Kelley. The drawings are arranged chronologically.
Specifications for the Public School 56 projects, written in 1961 and 1962, are also included. One binder of reference material consists of plans and renderings for modest-size houses designed by the Architectural Guild of Indianapolis, ca. 1933. Another binder contains letter-size blueprints showing “standard construction details” for recreational and other conservation areas issued by the Indiana Department of Conservation in 1943 and 1944 (with one sheet dated 1955).
Five document cases contain additional reference materials—magazine clippings and pamphlets about architecture collected by Bishop for office use. These are grouped according to building type or subject.
Seven document cases hold scrapbooks of newspaper clippings dating from 1958 to 1961. The clippings are arranged chronologically.